Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Veg Pledge


As some of you may know, before getting pregnant with makenzie I was a vegetarian. At that time, I wanted to eat healthier and I have a liking for for pigs and cows. I think they are cute so I felt bad eating them. I lasted for a long time, but when I got pregnant I craved burgers. That was probably the reason that I gained so much weight during that pregnancy. I seriously had like three burgers a day at least. Since then I have just not had the motivation to go back. Growing up a meat eater it is just easier and more convenient for me to cook meat rather than try to be creative in thinking up veg recipes. However, I have really wanted to go back and try it again. The last couple weeks I have been strongly considering it and I keep coming across more and more things that are pushing me in that direction. So, it is official starting Monday june 15th I am no longer going to be eating meat. I took a pledge through PETA to try it for 30 days in which I will see how manageable it is for me with 2 kids and a husband (who is NOT giving up meat). This time around there is a variety of reasons for doing this. Some of the reasons are:
It is healthier
Vegetarians have more energy, lower cholesterol and are at lower risk for heart disease
It helps save animals
The grain used to feed live stock can be used to help feed the hungry
Cows and pigs are cute (some people may think poultry/seafood is cute)
One thing I cannot give up is dairy. I like milk, cheese, etc. and no amount of soy substitutes are going to make up for it. Other than that no beef, pork, poultry or seafood for at least 30 days, but quite possibly longer. If anyone knows any tasty vegetarian recipes please send them my way and wish me luck!

4 comments:

The Parke Family said...

Good Luck Girl!! I know you can do anything you put your mind to!

Brooke W said...

I could NEVER do this! good luck!

Jill Carilli said...

Awesome Michella I hope it makes you feel great and gives you the results you want! YOU GO GIRL!

Unknown said...

Very cool Michella! I took the pledge for our family to have Meatless Mondays starting last week. So, I'll let you know any good recipes I find - let me know if you make any that are delish too :) Good luck!